Remember Pal Mickey? He was the GPS enabled plush toy that guests could purchase or rent at Walt Disney World. While walking around the parks, Pal Mickey would point out things of interests, give updates on where characters could be found etc.
Pal Mickey, is now a thing of the past and a new age of in-park technology is being ushered in. While there are a number of iPhone apps for Walt Disney World, few are actually "must haves." Most are based on theme park maps with GPS capability. The maps that Disney hands out for free are just as good. Others offer dining options but once again, you'll be able to find plenty of places to dine right on the park map, free.
The mobile app that scored the best was "Lines" availabe on any web enabled mobile phone. Let's take a closer look at Lines and 2 other honorable mentions.
This app comes from the folks at the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and TouringPlans.com. Lines is based on years of research, as well as live updates, and it's closely monitored by the staff that operates it. There are many things that make this the Best Mobile App:
- Right now, it's free.
- It's available on most web enabled mobile phones rather than just one i.e., iPhone etc.
- Accuarate wait times for attactions, based on years of research as well as live updates.
- Future park hours so you can plan in advance
- Daily park hours and Extra Magic Hours
- FASTPASS return times
- Single Rider line information (if they're being used or not)
- The TouringPlans.com Crowd Calendar for each park
- Attraction closures and refurbishments
- Updated daily, even thoughout the day as necessary
- The ability to send in current wait times right from the parks
- In Safari, go to m.touringplans.com
- Touch the plus sign "+" on the bottom of the screen,
- Select "Add to Home Screen"
- That's it! You have a button just like you do for your apps.
Other mobile apps available:
Mobile Magic (the official app from Disney)
- Availabe to Verizon customers for $9.95
- It's available on other wireless carriers but it's scaled way down
- GPS so you know where your standing. Maps are available too.
- Attraction wait times and FASTPASS times are also available
WDW Wait Times (iPhone App)
- Attraction wait times updated by other guests inside the theme parks. If no one sends updates, times are then estimated.
- It's free, with advertisements, .99 without on-screen ads
- "Near Me" feature that shows attractions close in proximity to where your standing
Disney Travel Offers
The Best of Walt Disney World Online:
The Best of Walt Disney World